Sunday, February 17, 2013

Drum Roll Please (results!)

Hub's SA is (finally) back! As he texted to me Friday after incessantly calling both my GYN and the IVF clinic "I basically have super sperm. True story". And he does.... Basically. But let's start at the beginning, shall we?

The SA was done back on 1/31 we were told to expect results in about a week from my GYN. The one week mark was the eve of and enormous New England nor'easter and the region was scrambling. Get everything done before the snow was to start flying. In the midst of finishing everything on our end we didn't call until the following Monday. No results. Finally we lost patience and hub called the GYN again on Friday, still no results. He then called the clinic where the exam was done. The person he spoke to said she didn't see the results, but odds were the results were good because otherwise they would have called for a retest. Sure enough they called back a few hours later with good news. (apparently they didn't have the forwarding information for my GYN).

So a normal range is 20 million sperm per milliliter and Hub had 74 million. This was a total count of 229 million where anything about 40 million is normal (!) Normal motility is 50% and Hub's was 70%. There was one hiccup where normal morphology is 5% Hub's was only 2%, but she said with such high numbers of sperm it wasn't expected to be an issue. She said that in their clinic nothing would be done for a man with those numbers, but my MD might do something else.

All in all, I'm pretty pleased. I had a freak out over the morphology, but after listening the message and reflecting on how many more sperm Hub has than average, I'm feeling much better. She said that her clinic has seen natural pregnancies with 0% morphology. I'm not really sure about how that works, but I'll take the reassurance. I found a calculator online that measures the number of potential Daddy sperm an he's at 17 million, good number I think. The online calculator says it "seems adequate" but I messed around with it and it seems like that is the best it says.

No comments:

Post a Comment