Monday, June 29, 2020

Roe V Wade; June Medical Services v. Russo

Crying here. 

Full, ugly crying. 

My oldest asked me why my eyes were so red when I emerged from what in COVID times passes as my office (their play room in our house in the woods)

June Medical Services v. Russo went to the side of reproductive rights. Abortion, for today, remains safe and legal in the United States. Roe V Wade faced the first challenge of the Trump court era and, in a 5-4 decision, ruled that  the law made it  "impossible for many women to obtain a safe, legal abortion in the State and [impose] substantial obstacles on those who could." and so was struck down. 

So why cry?  This is a good thing for those who think abortion should be legal and safe. Roberts, the lone conservative on majority decision disagreed with the logic of the majority. Saying instead that "he was bound by the precedent the court set just four years ago when it rejected a similar law in Texas."   Not bound by the Roe v Wade decision, not bound by the idea that abortion should be a legal, medical decision, but by case law from 4 years ago, which he also believes was wrongly decided. 

This court will reverse Roe V Wade, they have signaled this before and did again in a big way today.

Here in the BlueSunday household we have been debating our birth control situation. I don't want to prevent a pregnancy. We have resources for one more, would love another (and odds are slim I'll get pregnant anyway). But the abortion cases pending and sure to come have me waiting. If I were to have another child with T18 or similar, I would make the same decision. I think that decision will be taken from me in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment