Monday, September 19, 2016

That Moment When.. You Might Have Saved Someone's Life

Today is an incredible day.

Surya-Scott is still tucked up inside with no signs of making an appearance (at 39+4. ugg). Don't get excited for news on that front. BUT.

I have mentioned I'm a bit of a work-a-holic. I love what I do, who I work with (usually) and especially who I work FOR. In a brief recap, I work in clinical research and my current job has me working on a drug for very sick kids, teens and 20-somethings. They are dying, plain and simple. Though not in a plain and simple way (can you ever?).

I mentioned months ago that I had one of the worst days of my life due to my work going very unfortunately not our way. I wrote:

My last post was about a day full of anxiety. It actually turned out to be one of the worst days of my life- and I've had some doozies. There is an outside chance everything will work out, but it is looking unlikely. My heart is broken for some very deserving people.

Well, today, somehow, it all turned around. This is the final word (within reason) and a huge, huge success - professionally of course, but also personally. I know there are families who decide to terminate a pregnancy for this condition. I now also know that there is a treatment option where there wasn't before. It won't effect all the kids, it isn't a cure, but it is something. And that something is something I believe in. I think this works. I think it will extend lives and improve quality of life. I believe that I made the lives of some kids and their families brighter today, in my own small way. I may have saved some mother the terrible pain of a medical termination (conversely, I may have made that decision that much harder. This isn't a cure after all). I may have saved a life.

It feels amazing.

When I called hub, I was crying and shaking. Of course, he thought I was in labor. When we got that cleared up, he asked if I was ok. My response "I can't feel my hands". I was shaking so much. Truly an amazing day.

1 comment:

  1. Do you work on CF? I'm so excited for whatever the breakthrough is. Yay!

    ReplyDelete